Sunday, February 17, 2008

Wood Reaches Summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro


On Feb 9, 2008 we reached the summit at 1PM, led by guides from Thomson Safaris (Watertown, MA), on what turned out to be a beautiful, sunny 50-degree day that enabled us to stay on top for 45 minutes.

Wearing a RS800 Polar heart rate monitor during the entire ascent - I found that my HR was typically 15-20 bpm less when using my trekking poles (Leki). When we reached the summit my heart rate at 134 bpm. There were times during the climb when it was in the 150-160 range and with controlled, focused breathing and the use of the poles I was able to get it back down to 120-130 range.

The most challenging part of the climb for me was "scaling" the Baranco Wall on the way up. Another tough day was the descent from 19,000' to 10,000' (in seven hours times) the following day after we reached Uhuru Peak. Even with the use of poles my quads were "shot".

No comments: