Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Do You Know Your Cholesterol Level?

I recently had my cholesterol level checked and it was surprisingly higher than expected. So it was time for some advice - my own advice - advice that I have given literally hundreds of times over the years to the many clients that I have been fortunate enough to work with. My goal? First, increase my interval training on the cardio side - I have started doing more Tabata interval workouts (using a 2:1 work-to-rest ratio, typically 20 sec. of work followed by 10 sec. of recovery for 4:00). This should help to raise my HDL level. Second, eliminate all high cholesterol foods (and desserts) - not to mention one of my favorite's ...ice cream. I always say that "I exercise so I can eat and drink what I want." That (sadly) must change. I will, however, keep my red wine at dinner. There is benefit to drinking red wine ...right? Finally, I have to re-read Dr. Katz' book Cut Your Cholesterol - especially since I helped develop the exercise programs for the book. We shall see how it all goes - I have a physical in April.

No comments: