Sunday, November 1, 2009

Some Interesting Nutrition Books

While at Border's tonight I picked up three books to take a look at while drinking a cup of Chai Tea. My three books were:
A review by Louis McReady of the Huffington Post states: "In The End of Overeating, Dr. Kessler explains how humans, much like Pavlov's dogs, become hardwired to anticipate foods with fat, sugar, and salt. The food industry has learned what humans want, and is only too happy to give us what we crave. We quickly become trapped in a vicious cycle of dopamine-fueled urges when we want food, and opioid releases when we eat it. If dopamine and opioid sound familiar, it's because they play a major role in alcohol and drug addiction. Dr. Kessler draws a direct connection between food's power over people, and the pull of alcohol and drugs."

The New Optimum Nutrition Bible by Patrick Holford I particularly liked this book because of the nutrition assessment that it offered but did not like the fact that it was first published back in 1997 and was last updated in 2004. **You can actually purchase this for 1 cent + s/h at Amazon.**

The Paleo Diet by Dr. Loren Cordain
I'm not a diet guy but some of the philosophy of both the Paleo and Mediterranean Diet books that I've seen make sense to me. I found parts of Dr. Cordain's book interesting (other than the pages on the effect of exercise and diet on caloric expenditure that is) while other claims seemed to be pushing it in my mind. The book was highly referenced and had great, easy ideas for meals that include more lean protein (I did not agree with the % above USDA recommendations however), less carbs and moderate (good) fats. I also saw on Amazon they had the same title geared towards athletes that was published with Joe Friel who I like.

No comments: