Sunday, December 12, 2010

Adding in Some Yoga and/or Dynamic Warm-up

I have done yoga on and off for the past decade. Whenever I have a brief layoff I always come back to the realization of (1) how important various types of movement really are and (2) that they need to be done on a regular basis to retain the benefit. Case in point, I have not done any type of yoga this past month, and this morning I got back at it with a nice 1.5 hr class at USMMA in Bellingham, MA. The feeling after each class of having every muscle stretched not to mention the reduced stress level (mind/body/breath connection) and that healthy feeling knowing you just expended a high number of calories, are just a few of the many benefits that keep drawing me back. It becomes even more evident as I age, that these types of movement are what we ALL need to be doing. From all the sitting we are doing (behind a computer most days) not to mention the driving, stress, excess weight etc., our body ends up taking a beating each and everyday. Research has shown that there is a 40% increase in pressure in terms of the load placed on our spine when sitting compared to standing. One of the added benefits from regular yoga and dynamic warm-up type movement is...a big round of applause... restoration.

Adding a weekly yoga class or two to your current strength training routine will help keep any tight muscles functioning optimally. The WebMD site goes more deeply into the benefits of yoga here. Another great site, MayoClinic.com has additional information here as well.

As for the Dynamic Warm-up look no further than these videos put out by Duke University and Mike Huff - who I had the pleasure of meeting while visiting Carolina a few years back - as a good starting point.

If your not already doing any type of movement like this now...maybe this is just what the doctor ordered for the New Year ...for you and me both!

5 comments:

Kristina said...

I have never tried yoga for fear of doing the poses incorrectly and be injured. But all the sitting and working on computers everyday takes a toll on my body. You are right, I am beating my body each day...

I think I should consider trying yoga... Thanks to you!

Michael Wood said...

Hi Kristina - That's great about considering yoga. After almost 25 years in the fitness industry I have tried just about everything and I find yoga EXTEREMELY beneficial. Not just for building strength but also for the mind/body piece. Like anything else - search out the best instructors that meet your needs. Start slow, and slowly build up - hope you get hooked. Happy Holidays

Rashid Nazir said...

You should try herbal pills.

Rashid Nazir said...

You should increase sperm count.

Rashid Nazir said...

This stuff is really informative.