MICHAEL WOOD, CSCS
BOOKS (my exercise programs are featured in the following)
- The Exercise Diet, Michael Wood, CSCS (New Street Communication, 2013 expected publication date)
- Cut Your Cholesterol, Dr. David Katz and Debra Gordon (Reader's Digest, 2003)
- The 30-Minute Fitness Solution, Dr. JoAnn Manson and Pat Amend (Harvard University Press, 2001)
RESEARCH PAPERS (co-author)
- Hughes VA, Roubenoff R, Wood M, Frontera WR, Evans WJ, and Fiatarone Singh MA. Anthropometric assessment of 10-y changes in body composition in the elderly. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 80(2): 475-482, 2004.
- Hughes VA, Frontera WR, Wood M, Evans WJ, Dallal GE, Roubenoff R, Fiatarone Singh MA. Longitudinal Muscle Strength Changes in Older Adults: Influence of Muscle Mass, Physical Activity, and Health. J. Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 56(5): B209-B217, 2001.
- Wood M, McNally C. 8-Week Total Body Conditioning Workout. National Strength and Conditioning Journal, 23:2, 30-33, 2001.
- Wood M, Roubenoff R. Off-Season Strength and Conditioning Program for High School Athletes. National Strength and Conditioning Journal, 22:1, 15-17, 2000.
- Roubenoff R, Weiss L, McDermott A, Heflin T, Cloutier GJ, Wood M, Gorbach S. A pilot study of exercise training to reduce trunk fat in adults with HIV-associated fat redistribution. Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome 1999, 13(11): 1373-1375.
- Roubenoff R, McDermott A, Weiss L, Suri J, Wood M, Bloch R, Gorbach S. Short-term progressive resistance training increases strength and lean body mass in adults infected with human immunodeficiency virus. Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome 1999, 13:231-239.
- Wood M. Assisted Stretching. NSCA Conditioning Instructor, 3:1, 3-4, 1993.
- Hughes VA, Zoico E, Akos R, Wood M, Frontera WR, Fiatarone Singh MA, Roubenoff, R. Musculoskeletal Endurance is Associated with Functional Status in the Elderly. Gerontologist 42(1): 354, 2002.
- Hughes VA, Frontera WR, Fiatarone Singh MA, Evans WJ, Ward SF, Wood M, Roubenoff R. Thigh Muscle Area and Strength Loss Over 12 Years in Older Men. Medicine and Science in Sports Exercise, 31:5, 1999.
- Roubenoff R, Weiss L, McDermott A, Cloutier G, Wood M. Effects of Resistance Plus Aerobic Training on Trunk Fat Content in HIV-Positive Men with Lipodystrophy. Medicine and Science in Sports Exercise, 31:5, 1999.
- Hughes VA, Frontera WR, Wood M, Evans WJ, Roubenoff R, Fiatarone Singh MA. 10-Year Follow-Up of Muscle Strength in Older Men and Women. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 30:5, S72, 1998.
- Roubenoff, R, McDermott, A, Wood, M, Suri, J, Fauntleroy, J, Shevitz, A. Feasibility of Increasing Lean Body Mass in HIV-Infected Adults Using Progressive Resistance Training. Medicine and Science in Sports Exercise, 30:5, S183, 1998.
- Nelson, M, Wernick, S. Strong Women Stay Young, Bantam Books, 1997.
- Frontera WR, Hughes VA, Fielding RA, Fiatarone-Singh, MA, Evans WJ, Roubenoff R. Aging of Skeletal Muscle: a 12-Year Longitudinal Study. Journal of Applied Physiology, 88:4, 1321-1326, 2000.
- Yarasheski, KE, Roubenoff R. Exercise Treatment for HIV-Associated Metabolic and Anthropometric Complications. Exercise and Sport Science Reviews, 29:4, 170-174, 2001.
ARTICLES (used as a fitness resource, author or co-author)
- Fusion Adds Spice, Maybe Substance, to Workouts U.S. News and World Report
- Brand New You Delta Sky Magazine (January 2013)
- Sweating the Cost of a Home Gym? U.S. News and World Report
- Ready to Work Out ... on Mt. Everest? U.S. New and World Report
- 5 Sneaky Workout Wreckers Self Magazine
- Tech Training Fitness Business News
- Strength Training Benefits (EBSCO)
- Tennis Injury Prevention (USA Tennis New England, Dr. Tim Morgan)
- Improving Strength: A pre-requisite to enter the NBA (HoopsHype.com)
- Pre-Season Strength and Conditioning for Basketball (SportSpecific.com)
- Six Strength Training Myths (for Women) Debunked (Reader's Digest)
- Circuit-training: Fast, Flexible, Fun (EBSCO)
- Fitness Pros and Favorite Fitness Equipment (Fit Commerce)
- We've Got Your Back (Yoga Journal, Alice Lesch Kelly)
- Opening Your Own Training Studio (Personal Trainer University)
- Strength Training - The Missing Link (EBSCO)
- How To Get Motivated to Exercise (Family Doctor)
- Safety Check-up for Strength Training (EBSCO, Karen Asp)
- Climbing Kilimanjaro for a Cause (Thomson Safaris)
- Home Gyms Spruce Up (Denver Post)
- Beat Business Trip Boredom (Entrepreneur.com)
- Sticking to Your New Years Resolution (The Doe Report, Mary Calvagna, MS)
- Trading the Office for Adventure (Guide for Living Well, Andrew Beckner)
- Man Versus Mount Kilimanjaro (Guide for Living Well, Andrew Beckner)
- Rejuvenate Yourself (Pat Amend, Costco Connection)
- Exercise 101: Biceps Curl (EBSCO Publishing)
- Exercise 101: Lunge (EBSCO)
- Exercise 101: Squat (EBSCO)
- Exercise 101: Lateral Raise (EBSCO)
- Exercise 101: Sit-up (EBSCO)
- Exercise 101: Bench Press (EBSCO)
- Exercise 101: Stair-Climber (EBSCO)
- Exercise 101: Triceps Extension (EBSCO)
- Exercise 101: Crunch (EBSCO)
Additional print and media outlets:
PUBLICATIONS and NEWSPAPER
Delta Sky Magazine
US News and World Report (4)
Boston Magazine (3)
Walking Magazine (24)
Real Simple Magazine
Women Sports and Fitness
Men's Journal (3)
IDEA Personal Trainer
Glamour Magazine (2)
Health Magazine (3)
Weight Watcher's Magazine
Self Magazine (3) Boston Globe (4)
Tufts Health and Nutrition Newsletter
Walk of Weight (4)
Metro Sports Magazine
Best of Health and Fitness
NSCA Conditioning Instructor
ACE Fitness Matters
Cornell University Women's Health Advisor (3)
- American Journal Show (national show, Dr. Mariam Nelson)
- Channel 7 News (two appearances)
- WLVI Around New England Show
- Channel 68 News (Consider This)
- Channel 56 News (Health Watch)
- WB56 Morning Show
- Channel 4 News